Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cowgirl Creamery Fromage Blanc Frosting on Choco Cupcakes

Mmmm...Cowgirl Creamery cheese... Oh so good. And even better in fun mod designs.


Instead of regular store-bought Kraft cream cheese, I used Cowgirl Creamery's Fromage Blanc Cheese, which has a consistency resembling cream cheese (except it's a little more lumpy). The cheese is fresh, so it doesn't last long in your fridge, and recommended fridge-life is 3-5 days. But once you taste the frosting made with this cheese, I doubt the cupcakes will be around longer than 3-5 hours.

Add a chocolate covered espresso bean (or nut)!

I was hoping for a sharper, tangier flavor than Kraft cream cheese, and that's just what I got.

I used even less sugar for the frosting (I normally use less sugar -- about 25% less than what the recipe calls for -- since I don't like my frosting so sweet). With the fromage blanc, I used even less sugar, about 30-35% less, so the cheese's flavor would stand out even more.

I think it turned out really good, even better than expected!
Oh, and becareful of overbeating your cream cheese frosting, otherwise it liquifies... If it does liquify, you can still spread it smoothly across the top of the cupcake. Use a small circle fondant cutter/stencil that's smaller than your cupcake, place it on top of the cupcake, then spoon a little icing into the fondant cutter. Fill it just so it covers the the circle (don't fill too high), then take off the stencil, and the icing will spread evenly across the top of the cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment